Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Birth of Cooper Ryan Jones

Cooper had an estimated due date of the first week in March.  On Friday night (March 1st) I started feeling contractions. I didn't think much of them, because with Hunter I had intense contractions for 2 days before he was born. The contractions kept getting stronger and stronger, but I had a feeling there was a long way to go before the end. After a long hot shower the contractions went away completely and I managed to fall asleep.

I woke up Saturday morning with more contractions and realized that I had so much to do before I had a  baby. Ignoring the contractions I waddled around the house all day getting all of the last minute things done. By the afternoon I was exhausted, but had finished my to-do list. I then decided to go get a manicure/pedicure. It was so relaxing I almost forgot I was about to have a baby, except for every five minutes, when I had a huge contraction. These contractions continued off and on again, all night long. By early Sunday morning I was ready. I called our doula to meet us at the hospital and our next door neighbor to come over and watch Hunter.

Jared and I got to the hospital around eight in the morning and I was admitted, being dilated to six centimeters. My body decided to stop all contractions the moment I was hooked up to the monitor. This had happened with Hunter, so I had prepared for the worst - a long drawn out labor. Every hour, when the midwife hooked me up to the monitor the contractions would stop and then immediately pick up again once the monitoring was done. Eventually my midwife decided it was a waste of time monitoring me, because it was impeding progress and I truly was in labor. Our amazing doula knew all these tricks to keep labor going, stretches to help bring Cooper down, and the right places to massage me to reduce the pains of labor and help me breath through each contraction.  Jared was there to support me with limitless amounts of ice chips and apple juice. It felt empowering to have the strength and support to breath through each contraction and the incredible burst of pain it brought.

After walking the halls, bouncing on the birthing ball and relaxing in the whirlpool bath  I was ready to push by 2:00 pm. My water hadn't broken yet, so my midwife suggested I push a couple times over the toilet. Two pushes later we heard a pop and heard a huge splash as my water bag broke. It was time. I squatted on the back of the bed and pushed. Ten minutes later Cooper slid out ready to take on the world at 10 pounds, 7 ounces. I then laid down on the bed and held my perfect little angel. Once the cord stopped pulsing, Jared cut it and I just held that huge little baby. Things then got a little crazy because I wouldn't stop bleeding, but my midwife took care of things down there while I nursed Cooper. It was beautiful. I finally got the natural birth I had always wanted. I owe it all the my amazing doula, midwife and especially to Jared.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------


Our celebration dinner, courtesy of the hospital
Recovering from birth in a hospital was hard. Sleep is impossible with the steady stream of people who wanted to take my vitals, or check up on Cooper. The only thing I looked forward to was the food. Every meal was great. Partly because I didn't make it myself, but mostly because they gave me a piece of strawberry cheesecake every time they brought me food.

By the time I left the hospital I was eager to see Hunter and to begin the adventure of having two crazy little boys. I still do wish someone would bring me cheesecake with every meal.


3 comments:

  1. JANINA! This made me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he got here safely. You're little guy shares a birthday with my Jeffy. YAY for birthday friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, do you guys have summer plans yet? :)

    ReplyDelete